14th Dec 2018
Nauru Tax Reform Implementation Adviser
Pacific Technical Assistance Mechanism 2 (PACTAM2)
· Adviser Remuneration Framework (ARF) – C3
· 12 month role
· Based in Nauru
In order to accommodate the recently introduced reforms, the NRO has been re-structured with the creation of a new Taxation Division. The continued commitment of both government and NRO staff has seen the successful ongoing implementation of the new taxation reforms. The Nauru Tax Reform Implementation Adviser will play an integral role providing advice and guidance to the newly formed team. The role will be accountable to, and managed by the Deputy Secretary Revenue, Ministry of Finance, Government of Nauru
This role is expected to commence in February for a period of 12 months.
· Assist the Nauru Revenue Office (NRO) to implement further tax reforms;
· Develop and implement a revised 2018/2019 Compliance Strategy designed to treat identifiable risks to the revenue;
· Implement a dedicated program of capacity building initiatives for all NRO Tax Division staff;
· Review and, as required, upgrade tax processes and procedures designed and implemented for tax filing, payment and assessment of domestic taxes;
· Assist NRO in the implementation of soon to be introduced Revenue Management System;
· Assist NRO in the implementation of new taxation regimes as Nauru progresses towards ratification of PACER Plus;
· Using effective risk management techniques, these key objectives must promote the capacity of taxpayers to comply, ensure effective compliance monitoring and instil community confidence in the tax system and its administration;
· A minimum of 10 years experience in domestic tax administration.
· Demonstrated experience in a developing Inland Revenue department; relevant work experience in a Pacific Island country will be an advantage.
· A strong capacity to implement reform programs that will impact significantly on the performance of a national tax agency.
· High level skills in analysis of complex tax technical issues and interpretation and application of domestic tax laws.
· A strong technical and practical knowledge of the systems, processes and policies used to administer tax laws including:
o Taxpayer service;
o Revenue collection and recovery processes;
o Compliance monitoring and enforcement;
o Strategies to mitigate tax compliance risks.
· Experience in capacity development and implementation of formal and on-the-job training including the development of relevant procedures and manuals.
· Strong written and oral communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with a broad range of stakeholders.
· Bachelor level degree or post-graduate tertiary qualifications in taxation, accounting, finance, business management or related discipline.
· Remuneration in line with the ARF – C3
· Mobility and special location allowances
· Flights, medicals, and insurance
· Pre-departure briefing and in-country orientation
· Ongoing assignment monitoring and support
Scope Global – Engaged in the present to develop the future
Scope Global is a specialist project management company with people as the focus of its program delivery. We have a history of successfully managing projects in the international development and international education sectors.
The Pacific Technical Assistance Mechanism Phase 2 (PACTAM2) is an Australian Government initiative, funded through the Australian aid program and managed by Scope Global. It places highly skilled Advisers with Partner Governments in participating Pacific Island countries to build capacity and to meet identified human resource needs. If you are interested in other PACTAM2 opportunities and would like to receive updates, please register your interest.
Scope Global recruitment operates under equal employment opportunity principles and laws. We encourage appropriately qualified and experienced people to apply regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, physical ability or beliefs.
Applications will only be accepted via our online application system. For more detailed information on the position and to apply online, please visit http://www.scopeglobal.com/pactam2
Applications close midnight ACST 14th December 2018. No late applications will be accepted.
For more information contact a member of our team at recruitment.PACTAM2@scopeglobal.com